Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Why Denmark?

Back when the world was young . . .


Actually it was 2001 when my husband and I decided to marry. However, that wasn't the big decision we had to make - the big decision was what country to live in. You see, my husband was Danish and I was American. Up to that point, I never had any desire to leave the US - it wasn't perfect (nothing ever is) but I was happy with the way I lived. I loved the different cultures available, the beauty of the different parts of the country and the friendliness of most of the people I knew or met. In the months my husband was with me in the US, I introduced him to the country I loved and he grew to love it as well. So that would seem to make the decision easy - we would stay there.

So how did we end up in Denmark?

Hubs had only a handful of classes and a thesis to write in order to finish his master's degree in literature/communication. As it was free and so close to the end, it was a reasonable point for moving here temporarily. He also mentioned the friendly people, the wonderful health care system, how easy it would be for me to adapt to the culture. Of course, all the literature (mostly touristy stuff) I could find about the country seemed to support this. So we came to Denmark for what I thought would be a temporary stay (5 years, max, he says).

How has life been here in the country with the happiest people in the world?

The people marketing Denmark as a wonderful place to live could sell water to a drowning man . . .


Why am I still here 8 years later?

Ask myself that question every day . . .



To be continued . . . (if they don't drive me crazy first)

5 comments:

Fuzzy said...

Oooh, I look forward to part 2. Something tells me I should make you do one of my Bad Immigrant interviews. Yup, I should!

bad immigrant said...

Please do part two!

kelly said...

It's funny how almost everyone I meet has a similar Part One :)

American Girl said...

Yep, we all come here happy and looking forward to a new life . . . then we get the happies knocked out of us lol

What is a bad immigrant interview? Something I missed at your blog?

Fuzzy said...

Oh yeah, I interview people who choose not to integrate, and especially speak the language. So far my friend H, Jonathan, Babs and I have done them. But Iød love to add you as well! (And Talented Foreigner, of course.)

http://kandutaledansk.blogspot.com/search?q=bad+immigrant+interview&zx=a8a5577597361f58